Wednesday, June 12, 2013

11:21 pm

What's a self portrait anymore these days? I can make myself look like a goddess if I hit all my angles, know my lighting, and artfully choose my filters. But there should be a place for photos that evoke sharp honesty. It will be those kinds of photos that will send me to a poignant time in my life when I look back on them. 

Capturing a million dollar smile with a flattering vintage filter is by no means a sin. I do that shit all the time. But, having the inward personality I do, I'm beginning to see the power and freedom of owning my body and my mind, despite how crude they can be. It would be a disservice to myself if all I had to show for in my life were perfect selfies. I am not unceasingly beautiful, I am not that one-dimensional. 


No makeup. Nappy hair. No push-up bra. No bra at all. Splotchy skin. Uneven facial features that would have made even Pablo Picasso blush.

There's a little bit of weariness, but there is definitely a touch of quiet dignity in there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment