Saturday, May 25, 2013

Rock Steady

Today I went on a short hiking trip in La Jolla with Paulo and his family. Despite being a little low on energy from the morning shift at the coffee shop, it was really nice seeing the gorgeous ocean and being around so many fun family members at all different walks of life. 
Although Paulo and I were surrounded by a ton of his relatives, I took the simple pleasure in walking side by side with him on the trail. The ironic yet gentle way of how I've renewed my relationship with him was done both earnestly and effortlessly.
Lately, I've adopted a new way of approaching my relationship with Paulo and I'm seeing the positive effects. It's kind of just a "live and let live, if it's right it'll be right in the end" attitude. I've projected fewer loaded expectations onto him and in return I've been given less disappointments. (duh)
But more importantly, I'm learning how to not be a slave to those high and sometimes unrealistic expectations. That realization liberates me in a way that I can look at life with a bit more joy. And when I wholeheartedly recognize the good things in my life-- like hiking so close to the ocean or seeing the little baby I used to coo over turn four or truly understand how my boyfriend still really cares for me without him ever saying a word-- then life is greater than even my expectations.
And maybe that's the key to keeping a steady long distance relationship when you're so unsure of where you're headed in the long run: simply never allowing the unideal things lock you down because that outlook will only cheapen the really great and truly important aspects into oblivion.
And who am I to muddle life with my imaginative worrying and complaining when there is still so much more of life that is beautiful and demands to be felt?

No comments:

Post a Comment