Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Silver and Gold


7/13: Auntie Letty & Uncle David's 25th anniversary
7/14: Mama & Papa's 50th anniversary 

We were each other's dates three times this month: a statement that says a) July seems like 2013's "it" month for a wedding and b) Paulo and I were really lucky to get to see each other so frequently. And the fact that we got to spend time in the midst of celebrations with our loved ones makes our time together extra special. 

But unfortunately, within these next couple of months, the talks and visits will be few and far in between. He will be in the thick of his first busy season; a strain on any relationship, a zesty 1up for a long distance one. This particular busy season is something I'd been dreading since the early stages of our relationship, but for some reason I don't feel too worried right now. 

During these next couple of months, I'll finally work on getting my shit together (job, education, moving out, etc) with a zeal that had been dormant up until recently. So while his busy season won't be easy on either of us, it'll help that I'll be putting in some work for myself. I mean, figuring out your whole life and all its meticulous details can be just as mentally demanding as doing corporate taxes... right? (sarcasm). There must be some reason I've been un[der]employed for 9 months. And that reason is probably because all that thinking aches; up until recently, I would have preferred to make a latte than to put serious thought in to what I'm doing with my life. Luckily, these next three months will be fertile ground for me to do just that...so hopefully it bares fruit in the end! 

Undoubtedly, some days will be harder than others, but I'm still pretty confident that our relationship will endure just fine. Being with Paulo has shaped me to believe that I can move forward courageously toward my aspirations while having my equally-ambitious boyfriend support me along the way. We take comfort in knowing that a relationship isn't where individuality goes to die. In fact, if you take two confident, strong individuals who put equal amounts of work into their personal goals and into the relationship they share... then the world is their oyster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment