Saturday, January 4, 2014

"I'll see you on the other side ...... of the counter."

Today was my last day at Peet's and I'm a little heavyhearted. I feel like I'm leaving behind so many amazing people... those of which will probably be the brightest and the most kindhearted individuals I'll ever meet.

Not only have a gained a network of good friends, but I feel like I've been molded in a way that I can be proud of. Life after college can easily make one cold and hard with disillusionment. However I feel like I've been fortunate enough to see the beauty in community. By witnessing constant acts of care and warmth (and I do not mean your run of the mill customer service role playing), I feel like I'm now inclined to seek out the invaluable deep interaction with others.

I see the importance in craving to know another's story. Or how another's day is really going. Or what they find important. I know how rewarding it is to have those conversations take place and to have those special relationships set.

And I'll gladly take all the raised eyebrows for double fisting a retail job and college degree, because I owe a lot of my self-actualization to that job. I wouldn't dare trade my time there for any socially-laudable hot shot job.

Had you told me that I would feel this sentimental when I'd first started this job, I would have laughed and rolled my eyes into a coma. But the fact of the matter is that I am so grateful for my chapter at Peet's. And fortunately for me, I'll be one of those "former coworkers turned regular".

Free coffee til the day I die, bluh.

No comments:

Post a Comment